Wednesday, March 29, 2006

AEI - Short Publications

The AEI has a brilliant speech by Charles Krauthammer defining the Unipolar world in which we now live. This, as opposed to the world that existed before the fall of the Soviet Union. He enumerates the pros and cons surrounding different schools of thought on Foreign policy. He, of course, drills down the list to one philosophy, explaining why he think that it is best. He illustrates how the framework for these ideas changed after the fall of the Soviet Empire, and became important after the events of 9/11.

No matter which camp we, individually, may be in it is important to recognize the positive aspects of each approach. However, we would be deluding ourselves if we think that we can cherry pick the approach we use in foreign affairs, based only on a whim, and not suffer the mixed consequences of such an approach. Generally, it is best to pick just one philosophy and run with it. I have fallen into a category that Krauthammer does not give the blue ribbon, but I find his arguments compelling. I confess there is an inherent weakness to the approach that I espouse. I don't think I'm revealing too much to say that I fall into the 'Realist' grouping. A good way to find out where you stand would be to take this test. But, don't take the quiz until you read the article below. (Note: I took the test almost 2 years ago)

AEI - Short Publications

No comments: