Friday, April 15, 2005

Mitigating identity theft | Perspectives | CNET News.com

I've been saying recently that most people don't really want their privacy protected, nearly as much as they want security. In fact, most discussions about privacy usually turn into discussions about security before long anyway. That is why the Op-ed piece by security expert Bruce Schneier is so relevant. He clarifies the terms that we should when talking about fraud, impersonation, and privacy, and proposes that the solution ought to be with institutions, rather than individuals. Individuals have proven to be much too liberal with regard to their own information anyway. Plus, as Schneier points out, " Fraudulent transactions have nothing to do with the legitimate account holders." I've encountered this myself, when some personal checks were stolen. None of the offending institutions ever checked for ID. Luckily, I caught the fraud before it became my problem (Federal Law dictates that if caught within 24 hours, the transactions do not need to be honored by the Financial institution), although I had to fend off the creditors, and monitor my credit. When Institutions are held accountable for their transactions, then the number of fraudulent transactions will decrease.

Mitigating identity theft | Perspectives | CNET News.com

No comments: