- Romney: "In 2006, he signed an agreement with the federal government to deputize Massachusetts State Troopers so they could help enforce immigration laws. "
- Huntsman: Some in the legislature tried to enact legislation to this effect, but without the endorsement of the Governor.
- Romney: "He authorized Massachusetts National Guardsmen to deploy to the Southern Border."
- Huntsman: Nothing like that here according to Jim Matheson.
- Romney: " In 2004, Governor Romney vetoed a plan that would have provided illegal immigrants the same in-state tuition at public colleges and universities as Massachusetts citizens."
- Huntsman: Illegal immigrants get in-state tuition in Utah, despite efforts by some in the legislature.
- Romney: "In 2003, he announced his opposition to efforts to give drivers' licenses to illegal immigrants, again upholding the rule of law."
- Huntsman: Signed legislation for 'driving privilege' cards in 2005.
- Romney: "He also insisted upon teaching our kids in English."
- Huntsman: Wants to hire Mexican teachers to teach English to immigrants in Utah. (there is a subtle difference in execution here)
It is not my intention here to bash Governor Huntsman. Only to offer a point of comparison, and to say that the state a person hails from has very little to do with their own ideology.
Whether we agree with Romney or not, we can say that his record shows that he acted conservatively on immigration.