Thursday, March 31, 2005

O'Reilly: BJ Leiderman: Rocking the Bottom of the Dial

Oreilly has a great interview with the Creative mind behind a lot of NPR themes, as well as some radio and TV jingles. He even won an Emmy. He talks about where the Music Industry has come as technology has advanced, and the drawbacks of the Digital Age.

"What I’m referring to is more the negative way a lot of people use technology than the time it takes to learn it. I’m referring to loop-based, heavily quantized music that is taking a lot of the soul out of music—pop, rock ’n’ roll stuff, which is my bag. The building block of music in today’s productions is the loop. I bet if you put any one of the hit songs of today up on the screen and were able to call up a multitrack session from the ’70s or ’80s right next to it, you’d instantly be able to see today’s songs are made up of a lot of chopped-up, perfect little boxy loops. I’m feeling like my parents must have felt when their music gave way to the British Invasion and rock ’n’ roll. It’s like, “Where did all the good music go?”"
O'Reilly: BJ Leiderman: Rocking the Bottom of the Dial

No comments: