Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Hatch's response on PATRIOT

Below is the text of Senator Hatch's letter given in response to mine that was dated May 25th.

June 1, 2005

"Dear Mr. Farrar: (sic)

Thank you for your letter regarding the USA PATRIOT Act and related issues.

You may be interested to know that we are working hard every day on these issues. We continue to hold hearings on the USA PATRIOT Act re-authorization effort and I continue to listen to both sides in this debate. I appreciate and respect your sentiments and I thank you for taking the time to write. The 'administrative subpoena power' is a powerful tool currently used by law enforcement in the context of criminal (non-terrorist) cases. This has been challenged and found to be constitutional in current use contexts. However, I agree with you that this issue deserves very serious scrutiny and I intend to give law enforcement they (sic) tools they need AND maintain the civil liberties of all Americans (sic)

Again, I thank you for your input on this issue and I appreciate your support.

Sincerely,

Orrin G. Hatch
United States Senator"

No comments: